Bay Area Community Foundation Scholarship Program
Since 1985, the Bay Area Community Foundation has been awarding scholarships to students who live in Arenac and Bay Counties. The scholarships are awarded through donor sponsored endowment funds established by the Bay Area Community Foundation. These funds are created by families, civic organizations, and businesses in the area.
The Foundation’s first endowed Scholarship Fund started in 1984. The first scholarship was awarded in 1985 for $300 to a Pinconning High School Senior. Since then, the Foundation has awarded over $2.5 million to more than 3,500 students.
Applications will be available December 1, 2015 through March 7, 2016.
You can prepare for the 2016 scholarship process by gathering the following items:
- Two letters of recommendation- at least one letter must be school-related and one letter may be personal or professional.
- A “portrait” of the applicant. (No “selfies!”)
- A copy of your current high school or college transcript.
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive free PELL grant information and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The Michigan deadline for the 2016-2017 school year is March 1, 2016. To properly complete the FAFSA, you will need to file your 2015 income taxes as soon as you are able to. If you are a dependent, your parents must do the same. Be sure to file the 2016-2017 FAFSA.
- Write an essay describing your most meaningful achievement(s), how they relate to your future goals, and why you are deserving of a scholarship. Essay must be between 2,500-3,000 characters (spaces do count).
Questions regarding Bay Area Community Foundation’s Scholarship Program, should be directed to Stacey Skorupski, Program Associate at 989-893-6026.