What is Give Local Bay?
As life returns to normal post-pandemic, there are many reasons to celebrate…and Give Local Bay is one of those reasons. Join us on Tuesday, May 3, as Bay Area Community Foundation hosts a 24-hour online giving day at www.givelocalbay.org to raise funds for nonprofits in Bay and Arenac counties who have weathered the storm. With $25,000 in matching funds and an additional $2,500 in incentive prizes for nonprofits, it’s a celebration where your gift goes further.
Changes to Give Local Bay During COVID-19
Even as life slowly returns to normal, the broad and substantial impact COVID-19 continues to be felt in our community. Nonprofits are facing greater demands for services, staffing shortages and report an increased need for operating revenue.
Normally, Give Local Bay raises dollars for nonprofit endowment funds at the Community Foundation. These endowments help organizations prepare for the future and for crises such as the current pandemic by providing sustainable income for the long-term.
In recognition of the lingering pandemic effects, nonprofits will have the option of using Give Local Bay 2022 donations for immediate needs while all matching and incentive prize dollars will go to the nonprofits’ endowment funds to help prepare for the future.
We will be celebrating all day long at www.facebook.com/BayAreaCommunityFoundation, so make sure to tune in on May 3 to follow along with live videos, contest updates, games, and more.
How You Can Help
First, we encourage you to donate on May 3 at www.givelocalbay.org. On this day, your gift goes further as it is matched with 25,000 in matching funds and an additional $3,000 in incentive prizes for nonprofits. There are many other ways you can help, too:
- Mark May 3 on your calendar so you receive a reminder to donate. Visit www.givelocalbay.org and click on the calendar icon on the right side of the screen for a quick add to your Google or Outlook calendar.
- Share our Facebook posts and videos with friends and family to get them involved. Follow Bay Area Community Foundation on Facebook.
- Click “attending” on our Facebook event page and invite your friends. See the event by visiting our Facebook page or by clicking here.
- Become a fundraiser for your favorite nonprofit with a unique profile that you can share with friends and family. Similar to Facebook fundraisers, this allows you to set a goal and raise funds on a nonprofit’s behalf. To get started, visit www.givelocalbay.org, find an organization you want to support, visit that nonprofit’s profile, and click the button “Fundraise” to get started. Want to raise money instead for all nonprofits? You can also become a fundraiser for our incentive pool.
- Contact your favorite nonprofit to see if they are competing for a prize. There is $3,000 available in prizes. If your nonprofit has a strategy for how they want to win one, your help could make all the difference.
- Enter the selfie contest by posting a selfie or photo on your Facebook profile on May 3 to help your nonprofit win a $250 prize. Make sure to include #GiveLocalBay2022, tag Bay Area Community Foundation, and send us a Facebook message letting us know you posted. You will also need to make sure the post’s privacy settings are set to “public,” or we won’t be able to see it. At 9 p.m. on May 3, we will do a drawing on Facebook Live to pick the winner. The winner will select a Give Local Bay participating nonprofit to win the prize.
- Vote for your favorite nonprofit April 28-May 2 and encourage others to do the same. We will post a link to a poll on our Facebook page and at givelocalbay.org/prizes. One vote per person. The nonprofit with the most votes when the poll ends at 3 p.m. on May 2 will win this $250 prize.
- Spread the news on Facebook on April 28: Share our “What is Give Local Bay?” Facebook live video that will start at 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 28. A drawing on Monday, May 2 will determine the individual winner who will decide which fund will receive this $250 prize. Nonprofit Facebook pages are also encouraged to share this video, but the drawing will only include individual personal accounts so make sure to share it to your personal page as well.