History of the Depot
Originally opened in March 1904 during a period of expansion for the Pere Marquette Railroad Company, the Depot was closed by the railroad in 1951. Two years later, the Depot was renovated for use by the Greyhound Bus Company which operated from the “modernized” building until 1969. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Structures in 1982 to protect it from demolition.
The Great Lakes Center Foundation purchased the Depot in 2003 and began an extensive $6.2 million restoration. During the process, the water tower, canopy, and porte cochere were reconstructed, and the waiting room was returned to its original two-story design. In June 2008, the Depot was open for the first time in nearly 40 years.
All Aboard! The Depot Today
The Great Lakes Center Foundation has gifted the Depot to the Bay Area Community Foundation to provide a permanent home for our organization. You will find the Foundation’s staff on the second floor of the Depot. The lower-level office space is currently occupied by Wood Law Firm, PLLC.
Where We’re Going
After moving into the Depot, BACF created an endowment fund to assure that the historic Pere Marquette Depot remains a Bay Area treasure for years to come.
We are working hard to grow the Depot’s endowment fund to continue to protect, preserve and prepare for the future of this Bay County landmark.
The Labadie Challenge
Gary and Glenda Labadie offered a 1:1 match for every dollar committed to the Pere Marquette Depot Endowment Fund during 2018. Up to a total of $50,000 was matched to ensure this historic landmark is preserved for generations to come.
Pere Marquette Depot Conductors Society
Through the Labadie Challenge, the following donors made contributions to the preservation of the Pere Market Depot.
Station Master ($10,000+)
- Bay Valley Oil Co.
- Paul A. Rowley
- Weinlander Fitzhugh
- Mike and Sheila Hanisko
- Robert and Joyce Hetzler
- Oscar P. and Louise H. Osthelder Donor Advised Fund
- Randall and Amy Rodriguez
- Jerome and Dianne Yantz
- Dominic and Pamela Monastiere
- Dutch and Jeanne VanDerwill
- William and Geralynn Mulders
- Catherine B. Washabaugh
- Andreas and Tracy Teich
- Thomas Carter and Barbara L. Engelhardt-Carter
- James and Diane Matherly
- Guillermo Herrera
- Guy and Stephanie Moulthrop
- Clarence and Arteka Sevillian
- Richard and Dee Dee Wacksman
- Jeremy and Tashia Walraven
- Michael and Nancy Kasperski
- Gregory and Luanne Grocholski
- Richard and Carole Milster
- Brian Eggers and Lindsay Stevens Eggers
- Thomas E. Bock and Karen A. Tighe
- Robert and Mitzi Dimitroff
- Robert and Sally Sherman
- Robert and Jane Hagen
- Brenda Rowley
- Kevin and Danielle Krupp
- Alan and Janice Doner
- Martin and Ruth Jaffe
- Granco Investments LLC – In memory of William D. Gregory
- Robert D. Sarow
- Jeff Mayes
The Depot as Event Space
The 1904 room of the Pere Marquette Depot is available to rent for:
- Bridal and baby showers
- Graduation parties
- Family reunions
Interested in more Pere Marquette Depot information?