Waves lapping at the shore. The sound of a fishing line as it plops into the water. Summer days at the beach. Strolling along a riverbank.
These images evoke a sense of well-being and create a strong and enduring connection to place. Communities with a strong sense of place prosper. They attract workplace talent and business. Lake Huron and the Saginaw Bay, coupled with our dynamic river system, provide Bay County with access to special and unique natural resources—resources that improve economic vitality and provide a competitive advantage for our community.
Through the Community Impact Initiative, the Bay Area Community Foundation seeks to harness the potential of these natural resources for a vibrant and growing Bay County.
Download more information about this grant opportunity
Community Impact Initiative Guidelines
The Bay Area Community Foundation Board of Trustees will award up to $250,000 in grant funds for this Bay County initiative. The funds may be awarded to one or multiple projects.
STRATEGIC FOCUS: Develop clean and accessible beaches and waterfront recreational opportunities including public access to the waterfront, greater waterfront visibility, and programs that provide better coordination of shoreline initiatives in Bay County. Focus should be placed on water and using it to attract and retain residents and business. Utilize water resources in smart and sustainable ways and leverage unique water assets for economic and community development to differentiate the area from other communities.
Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, government entity, or school. Must address strategic focus. For this purpose, water assets refer to Lake Huron/Saginaw Bay or rivers within Bay County.
Successful applicants will have projects that are:
- Impactful and significant
- Leverage additional resources
- Collaborative in nature
Guidelines to Get Started
These questions are provided only as a guideline to help you prepare. After April 1, 2019, you can begin the application process by contacting Joni King, program officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (989) 893-4438 to discuss your project or idea. If your project is a good fit, you will be provided with a password for our online application portal. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Provide a brief summary of the organization’s history, mission, goals, and current programs with activities and accomplishments.
- Detail the need for and importance of this project as it relates to the strategic focus outlined above.
- Make a compelling case as to why our community would benefit from this project.
- Summarize the program or project. Indicate whether this is a new or ongoing initiative for your organization.
- Outline the project goals, action plan, and timetable for implementation.
- Provide a project budget, and detail the long-term strategies for funding this project.
- Define who your partners are and their roles in the project.